Bacon is commonly made from pork belly cured with the application of table salt, sugar, and curing salt. Here’s a simple and easy way to prepare your own bacon.
What you need:
1 kilogram pork belly (preferably 50 percent lean, 46 percent fat, 4 percent
1 1/3 teaspoon curing salt (Prague powder)
5 ¾ cups table salt
3 teaspoons refined sugar
What you have to do:
- Trim the meat of excess fat and slice it to desired shape.
- Wash the choice meat and hang to drip.
- Misx the ingredients (salt, sugar, Prague powder) thoroughly in a bowl.
- Place the meat on a tray. Rub the ingredients to the meat, making sure that all parts receive equal amount of the mixture.
- Place meat in a plastic. Drive away all the air in the bag and fold the mount end.
- Place the meat in a refrigerator to cure. Allow two days for the curing period.
- After the curing period, wash meat and soak for about 3 minutes to 3 minutes.
- Hang the meat to drip for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the bacon in an over and the lowest possible setting. Heat until meat becomes frim.
- Bring the bacon out and hang to cool.
- Transfer to a chiller and deep the bacon in the chiller for a week to age.
- After aging, arrange slices in plastic bags such that the lead side is exposed.
Source: Carl B. Monterey.