Enjoy this pastry from Laguna—buko pie. If you have an over and a pie pan, you can prepare this tasty treat.
What you need:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup corn oil
1 tablespoon water
3 1/3 cup buko (young coconut)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup evaporated milk
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup cheese, grated
What you will do:
- To prepare the crust, combine flour and salt. Blend in oil thoroughly using a fork.
- Sprinkle with water. Continue “cutting” with a fork until flour mixture forms tiny lumps. Form flour mixture into a ball.
- Divide dough into two equal portions. Roll out to make two crusts. Cover bottom of pie pan with one crust. Cut excess.
- Prick pastry all over with fork. Bake in preheated oven at 450°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine all ingredients except cheese, and cook over low heat.
- Continue stirring until thick. Pour mixture into pastry-lined pie pan.
- Top filling with the second crust. Seal ends all around with a fork.
- Bake at 400°F until crust turns golden brown. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake for additional 5 minutes. Serves eight persons.
► How to Make Buko Pie. http://www.mixph.com/2006/07/how-to-make-buko-pie.html
Visual courtesy: myfoodaholic