Who says that we can enjoy puto bumbong only during Christmas season? If you have the right materials and ingredients and you follow the simple steps below, you can enjoy puto bumbong any time of the year.
What you need:
1 kilogram malagkit or glutinous rice mixed with 125 grams ordinary rice
1 piece mature coconut, shredded
Butter or margarine
Violet food coloring
2 liters water
2 tablespoons salt
1/3 cup sugar
What you will do:
1. Add salt and food coloring water.
2. Soak the rice mixture in salted water for 1 hour. Place the mixture in a flour sack. Put something heavy on top to squeeze out water. Let it dry overnight.
3. Mixture is ready for cooking the following morning. Heat steamer (lansungan) with enough water.
4. Put a small amount of rice mixture inside bamboo tubes (bumbong).
5. Attached bamboo tubes to lansungan or steamer.
6. When steam comes out of bamboo tubes, remove and immediately push out puto bumbong.
7. Top with shred coconut and sugar before serving
► Britt, Robert Roy. Mystery Ocean Glow confirmed in Satellite Photo. http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/051004_sea_glow.htm
► Milky Seas from Space. http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~biolum/organism/milysea.html