Many Filipinos refer to the muskmelon simply as “melon.” Flesh and juice from the muskmelon fruit are popular ingredients for a variety of refreshments and desserts. The rinds are usually discarded. But we can make something out of it. we can use it to make melon rind preserves.
6 cups melon rinds
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1. Soak small pieces of melon rinds in lime water for 3 hours.
2. Dispose of lime water after soaking and rinse rinds with fresh water several times.
3. Boil rinds in water for 30 minutes or until tender.
4. Prepare syrup using 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water with a little amount of lemon juice.
5. Boil rinds in syrup for an hour.
6. Continue cooking until rinds are transparent and the syrup is thick. Flavoring may be added.